So I’m building a list of what iOS devices exist to figure out what I’m planning to support because things have changed a lot in the last year.
Devices I plan to support
- iPhone 3 (not supporting this, its ARMv6 CPU is too slow)
- iPhone 3GS faster ARMv7 CPU
- iPhone 4 retina display
- iPhone 4S retina display and faster
- iPhone 5 retina display and longer screen (16:9)
- iPad 1 slow
- iPad 2 faster
- iPad 3 retina but slower than iPad 2 due to 4x pixels to draw
- iPad 4 retina and faster
- iPad Mini same as iPad2 hardware
- iPod Touch 3th gen comparable to iPhone 3GS (32Gb and 64Gb. Watch out for 8Gb which is a 2nd Gen in disguise.)
- iPod Touch 4th gen with retina and comparable CPU/GPU hardware to iPhone 4 but same 256Mb RAM as 3S
- iPod Touch 5th gen retina display and longer screen (16:9) but not iPhone 5 hardware, more like iPhone 4S inc. 512MB RAM
Hope this list is useful to other devs wanting to see the lay of the land.
Ideal test devices
[EDIT] OK I’ve added my ideal list of test devices (without having to own one of everything):
- iPhone 3GS (256Mb RAM, slow, non-retina)
- iPod Touch 4G (for retina with only 256Mb RAM)
- iPhone 4S just because it’s my current phone and is nice.
- iPhone 5 in simulator to avoid buying iPhone 5 or iPod 5th gen
- iPad 1 (slow)
- iPad mini (compares to iPad2 but has smaller screen)
- iPad 3 (retina but slowish)
- Don’t need an iPad 4 yet
Please let me know if I’ve got anything wrong or should add anything else. Thanks!