I’ve been getting lots of emails about how to cheat on Fairway Solitaire because some of the end courses are really tough. There are no in-game cheats at all I’m afraid – they were all removed in the final version. However, it is possible to modify one of the data files to make the tough courses easier as follows (Windows XP):
- Go to your C Drive via My Computer
- Go to Program Files\Fairway Solitaire
- Go into Data\Levels
- Make a backup copy of CourseList.csv somewhere safe.
- Right Click CourseList.csv and click Open with WordPad or NotePad (if you are using Windows Vista you need to open it with Adminstrator privileges)
- Find the course AFTER the one you are stuck on
- If you are modifying Joe’s Gas and Golf – find where it says SCORE,-1 and change -1 to something much easier like 20
- If you are modifying Mystery Madness – find where it says TOKENS,25000 and change 25000 to something much easier like 1000
- Save the file.
- Run the game and check the course goal, it should have changed.
The courses mentioned in the cheats are only really hard in V1.01 of the game. They are easier in V1.02 and higher. Please note that it is not possible to cheat on the last course: The Baron. Also there are no cheats for the Mac version.
Hope this helps you out, and thanks for playing the game so far!
It is possible to adjust the data files using the above technique on the Mac version shipped by BFG, but it requires a little “hacking”. The problem is that the data folder is a hidden folder, and it’s inside the application bundle. So once you get inside the application bundle you need to tell Finder to be able to view hidden folders so that you can locate the data folder. However, I cannot tell you how to do that because BFG would not be happy if I said how to hack their Mac wrapper. If you googled for the information you might succeed…but it’s probably easier to just try to beat the level